Tuesday 14 February 2012

Google Analytics

During the workshop last Friday as well as creating a Wordle I also set up a Google Analytics account. After being completely confused by the whole thing I finally got it working. Google Analytics provided me with a html code to copy and paste into my blog's html. After this, Google Analytics accesses the information from your blog and lets you track who is using and viewing your website. Here are a few examples of what it can tell you;
  • The location of the viewer
  • Whether they are a returning visitor or a new visitor
  • How long they spent on your website
  • What web browser they are using

Just above I have print screened the overview page about my blog. Even though this hints at how hugely unpopular my blog is, I am able to track a number of things. On the time line at the top the dates range from the ninth of Feb (When I created my Google Analytics account) to the present day. With the information just under the timeline I can see that I have had thirteen page visits, eleven of these are new visitors and two are returning visitors. I am also able to see that the average time a visitor spends on my site is five minutes and fifty-seven seconds.


This second print screen comes under the 'Browser and OS' tab - This allows me to see what browser the visitor is using to view my blog. In relation to my blog, this shows that five views come from Firefox, four from Internet Explorer, three from Google Chrome and one from Android Browser.

Although I had difficulty setting up Google Analytics at first, it is well worth using. Blogger does provide you with some information, such as how many views your blog has received and where they are viewing it from. However, it does not provide no where near as much information as Google Analytics does. Well worth downloading.

No comments:

Post a Comment